Accounting, Finance, Controlling (MSc)
At a glance
- Study programme
- Accounting, Finance, Controlling (MSc)
- Accounting, Finance, Controlling
Master of Science (M.Sc.)
- Type of programme
- Campus-based programme
- Standard Duration
- 3 semesters
- Admission Capacity
- Start of study programme
- Summer and winter semesters
- Admission Restriction
- Limited entry based on NC system
- Admission Requirements
- University degree (Diplom degree, Bachelor’s degree), mainly in the field of business and economics (also engineering management and business IT). Applicants generally require certification of having attained 210 ECTS points; 180 ECTS points is the minimum requirement. The study programme enables students to make up the 30 ECTS points shortfall if, for example, their previous Bachelor’s study programme consisted of six semesters.
- Language of instructions
- German and English
- Language Requirements
- English language proficiency equal to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) B2 level (special rules apply for native English speakers and graduates of study programmes conducted primarily in English). Proficiency in German equal to CFER C1 level (DSH II level in the DSH German proficiency test for university admission or equivalent) where the applicant’s university entrance qualification was acquired abroad.
- Application Deadline
- 20 August (winter semester); 15 January (summer semester)
- Specific Features
- Integration of the fields of accounting, finance and controlling in a strongly application-oriented study programme
What Is This Programme About?
The Master’s study programme "Accounting, Finance, Controlling" qualifies students to work in the fields of accounting, finance and controlling or in the department of a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) at large and medium-sized companies in any industry. The programme offers career-oriented and applied learning alongside academic and theoretical subjects. Both these teaching components cover the latest findings in business and economics, and qualify students who successfully complete the modules to carry out complex cross-disciplinary, specialist, and management tasks and roles in business.
Why Choose This Programme?
The programme is aimed particularly at applicants with a Bachelor’s degree in business administration as well as university graduates from other disciplines, in particular graduates in engineering management and graduates in business IT who want to acquire the qualifications needed for specialist positions in the fields of accounting, finance and controlling, as well as middle and higher level management roles in large and medium-sized companies.
How is the programme structured?
At the core of the programme’s content is the students’ acquisition of specialist expertise and methodological skills in the areas of accounting, finance and controlling.
Small groups with a maximum of 35 participants enable intensive work in the form of seminar-based instruction and individual attention to students’ performance in group discussions, case studies, student presentations and software-based exercises.
Where does it lead?
The Master’s degree programme opens up excellent career opportunities for graduates in company departments across all sectors (e.g. accounting, finance, controlling, project and risk management, mergers and acquisitions), in the banking and insurance industries, consulting, auditing as well as in the public service and for non-profit organisations. The knowledge acquired in individual specialist areas (e.g. individual and consolidated financial statements in accordance with international financial reporting regulations, company valuation, etc.) provides a good basis for students intending to take professional examinations (e.g. accountancy exams or "Certified Public Accountant" exams).
In addition, graduates meet the formal requirements for taking a doctoral degree. The labour market is experiencing a high demand for qualified specialists and managers in accounting, finance and controlling. Studies on pay indicate that graduates can expect to earn high incomes.