International Management (MSc)
At a glance
- Study programme
- International Management (MSc)
- International Management, Global Leadership
Master of Science (M.Sc.)
- Type of programme
- Campus-based programme
- Standard Duration
- 3 semesters
- Admission Capacity
- Start of study programme
- Summer and winter semesters
- Admission Restriction
- Limited entry based on NC system
- Admission Requirements
- University degree (Diplom degree, Bachelor’s degree), mainly in the field of business and economics (also engineering management and business IT). Applicants generally require certification of having attained 210 ECTS points; 180 ECTS points is the minimum requirement. Applicants have the opportunity to make up the 30 ECTS points shortfall if, for example, their previous Bachelor's study programme consisted of six semesters.
- Language of instructions
- German and English
- Language Requirements
- English language proficiency equal to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) B2 level (special rules apply for native English speakers and graduates of study programmes conducted primarily in English) • Proficiency in German equal to CFER C1 level (DSH II level in the DSH German proficiency test for university admission or equivalent) where the applicant’s university entrance qualification was acquired abroad
- Application Deadline
- Summer semester: 15 December (applicants requiring a visa), 15 January (German and EU citizens). Winter semester: 15 July (applicants requiring a visa), 15 July (German and EU citizens).
- Specific Features
- Option of a combined degree programme leading to an MBA degree in the United States in cooperation with the West Virginia University in Morgantown and Pfeiffer University in Charlotte, North Carolina, and option also of a double degree in cooperation with our partner university in France, the ESCI in Paris.
What Is This Programme About?
Companies face new challenges as a result of globalisation: the future of major corporations, as well as of small and medium-sized companies, lies in an increased focus on international business operations, greater cross-border trade, and the globalisation of added-value chains. Studying management with an international focus is therefore more relevant than ever before.
The study programme will provide you with the ideal preparation for management roles and responsibilities at an international company. You will learn the topics, concepts and tools for managing international corporations. The business administration emphasis in the areas of business management and leadership is complemented by acquiring, among other things, knowledge of legal aspects and economics which are of key importance in a globalised and multinational economy.
Why Choose This Programme?
The study programme is aimed particularly at applicants with a Bachelor’s degree in business and economics or in related fields such as [[engineering management]] or business IT:
- who want to develop, expand and deepen their knowledge of international business management, international marketing and project management, international business law as well as social and leadership skills in a global environment
- who would like to work in an intercultural corporate environment
- who would like to deepen their understanding of the inner workings of international business
- who enjoy learning and speaking foreign languages, especially English
- who are interested in the special nature of communicating in an international environment
- who aspire to a management position after graduation or who wish to do a doctoral degree
How is the programme structured?
In your first semester you will lay the foundations for the rest of your Master’s degree programme. You will deepen your business management knowledge in the areas of human resources management, marketing management, and company management with an international focus. In addition, you will be introduced to relevant quantitative methods, international business law and the economic aspects of increasing international integration.
The second semester focuses on you acquiring further specialist business administration expertise in areas such as strategic management, risk and innovation management, and on teaching you social skills related to leadership, communication and social responsibility.
The third and final semester includes integrated modules: an extensive business simulation exercise with an international high-tech company and the Master’s thesis on an international management topic of your choice. The second and third semesters also enable you to deepen your knowledge in line with your own interests by taking two compulsory elective modules
You can also take advantage of the Department of Business’s excellent partnership network and do a period of study abroad or a work placement in Germany or abroad. This also enables you to acquire additional ECTS points, for example if the duration of your Bachelor’s degree programme was six semesters.
Where does it lead?
On completing your study programme, you will be able to think in an interdisciplinary and intercultural way, work in a wide range of disciplines, and thus possess the versatility to be deployed in different functions in a company – possibly linked to your Bachelor’s degree or your compulsory elective subjects. Following an initial probationary period on the job, you will possess the necessary practical know-how to make you suitable for responsible, international management positions where you are heading departments or managing the company as a whole, regardless of the industry or size of the business.