Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any scholarships available for IWU?

A limited number of full and partial scholarships are available. To apply please tick the respective box in the online form when applying for the International Winter University.

How many seminars can I attend?

You can attend one of the three academic courses plus the German language course.

How many ECTS-credits can I earn?

The standard program encompasses 6 credits (ECTS-credits): 2.0 credits for the language course and 4.0 credits for participation in the seminar. Please note: You can attend only one of the academic modules for credit.

How do I get a visa?

If you are a citizen of a country that is under a visa requirement to enter Germany, we will send you an invitation letter to facilitate the visa process after we've received your payment or your scholarship was confirmed. Many consulates accept the invitation letter as scanned copy. If not so, we will send you a hard copy by express mail.Please check the website of your German consulate for information which documents are required for your visa application. The visa process lasts several weeks - make sure you apply as early as possible!
Please keep the programme coordinator informed during the process.

Is there an address where I can have mail sent during the IWU?

Please, have all mail sent to the IWU-office, c/o your name. Example:

Hochschule Fulda. University of Applied Sciences
Hessen International Winter University (IWU)
c/o your first name, last name
Leipzigerstr. 123
D – 36037 Fulda

How do I get cash during IWU?

It's easiest if you have a debit or credit card with a PIN number to be used at all ATMs. Please note that in case you don't have a PIN number, you may have trouble paying with a credit card, as many smaller shops and restaurants don't accept credit cards. In any case, inform your credit card provider about your trip to Germany before your departure - otherwise the use of your card may be blocked. In case you need cash quickly during IWU, your family may send you a money order. Please ask at the IWU office for more information.

Can I use Traveler´s Cheques?

We don't recommend the use of travelers cheques. They are not accepted by any shops in Germany and even only very few banks will cash them.

Where can I make phone calls during the IWU?

You can receive and make calls using an international phone card. Public phones are available in the university dormitories and downtown. Airtime can be bought at local shops, rates for outgoing domestic and international calls are both very inexpensive (max. 0.19 € for a domestic call and between 1€ and 2€ for international calls (can be higher and depends on country called) per minute), incoming calls are free for you.

Can I access the Internet during the IWU?

During the IWU, you will have free access to email and internet in the computer rooms of the university. Internet access can not be guranteed at the accommodations. The tutors can also help you to set up your own laptop computer for free use of wifi on campus.

Is there an opportunity to do laundry during the IWU?

In most accomodations washing maschines are available.  There are also laundromat facilities in town.

Do I have to bring sheets and towels?

Sheets and a few towels are provided at the accommodation unless you receive notification otherwise. It's usually a good idea to bring a few towels with you, however.

Can I use my electrical appliances?

There are outlets in every room. The standard in Germany is 220 volts. You need to check if your appliances are suitable for that. You should also buy an adapter before you come to Germany.

What happens if I get sick or have an accident during IWU?

We take out insurance for all IWU participants. It covers illnesses and accidents that occur during IWU, no payment is necessary from your side, except in some cases for medications. In case you get sick or hurt, please call the IWU team immediately through the emergency number. We will accompany you to a doctor or the hospital and notify your family at home. Pre-existing and psychological conditions are exempt. If you suffer from or expect any such problems, please get information from your insurance at home about the coverage abroad and bring a sufficient amount of your medication with you.

Can I change course during the IWU?

Some exceptions can be made in the first few days and courses can be changed after contacting the programme coordinator.