2021-25 Internationalisation Strategy
Mission & Vision
Internationalisation, intercultural integration and interculturality are recognised as key strategic fields at Fulda University of Applied Sciences and are firmly embedded within the University's structures. The University has set itself the goal of becoming an international university. To achieve this, interculturality will be developed throughout the University as an important element of internationalisation. This includes an internationally oriented campus and an open, inclusive atmosphere for all University staff and students.
Fulda University of Applied Sciences wants to prepare its students in the best possible way for the demands of an increasingly globalised world and equip them with the skill sets this requires. Given the current demographic, social and economic changes, recruiting international students, especially in the STEM subjects, is also of paramount importance to make up for the shortfall in skilled professionals.
The following strategy is part of the University Development Plan 2021-25 of Fulda University and is embedded in the overarching strategy of the University. As a cross-divisional task, internationalisation is anchored in the areas of learning and teaching, research, governance, digitalisation and administration. In accordance with this, Fulda University of Applied Sciences aims to further expand its high degree of internationalisation at all levels and consolidate its identity as an international university.
Status quo of internationalisation measures at Fulda University of Applied Sciences in 2021
- a large number of non-German nationals with university entrance qualifications acquired outside Germany (2019: 11%)
- an above-average number of international study programmes in which 17.5% of all students are enrolled
- short-term international programmes, such as the International Summer and Winter University or the specialisation International Course in Social Work
- an extensive Pre-Study programme (preparatory programmes)
- above-average outgoing student mobility (Erasmus: 8-9% in the last 10 years)
- several externally funded projects with an international reach
- In the areas of doctoral training and the internationalisation of research, Fulda University of Applied Sciences leads the way among universities of applied sciences and technical universities.
- As a campus university, Fulda University of Applied Sciences has the advantage that everything is within easy reach, the atmosphere is friendly and informal, and there is an excellent student-staff relationship. Fulda is also a very safe city with a high quality of life and good transport connections.
- excellent contacts to stakeholders in the city and region
Strategic and specific goals 2021-2025
Four overarching, strategic goals are pursued, each of which is assigned a number of specific goals:
1. In future, Fulda University of Applied Sciences will consider internationality to be an even stronger element of its profile and it aims to develop into an international university.
Within the context of holistic internationalisation, university partnerships will be aligned to the University's new profile and strategically expanded and developed.
Expansion of international development cooperation.
The internationalisation process will be newly structured and measures to internationalise the departments, administration and campus will be supported
The opening up and international impact of the University on the region, on businesses and in society should be strengthened.
2. The number of international students will be increased significantly and their academic success systematically improved.
- Increase in the number of non-German nationals with university entrance qualifications acquired outside Germany to 20% by 2025
- Guarantee of the academic success of international students
- Integration of international (and refugee) students on the campus and in the region
3. All students acquire international competencies
- Facilitation of student mobility
- "Internationalisation measures at home" will be promoted.
- Increase in the number of visiting academics
- Increase in the number of instructors with an international background and/or experience.
4. Interculturality and an identity as an international and cosmopolitan university will be further developed throughout the university as an important element of internationalisation.
All students will acquire intercultural skills by the end of their study programme.
All employees in the departments, administration and in the central bodies should acquire more intercultural competencies.
European Policy Statement (EPS)
Fulda University of Applied Sciences has received the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (ECHE) 2021-2027
Erasmus Code: D FULDA01
Organisation ID (OID): E10206200
Planned strategic achievements by participation in the Erasmus Programme with regard to our general internationalisation strategy
Internationalization plays a key role for the future success of academia and shall become a profile-building element in developing Fulda University further over the next years. Read more on the "Planned strategic achievements by participation in the Erasmus Programme with regard to our general internationalisation strategy"
Implementation of Erasmus actions and contribution to achieving the objectives of our institutional strategy
Fulda University of Applied Sciences strives for a broad participation in the Erasmus Actions in order to profit from the programme as good as possible. This can only be achieved by more visibility of the Erasmus Actions throughout the institution, thus departments, other relevant units as well as the university board have to be better involved. Read more on "Implementation of Erasmus actions and contribution to achieving the objectives of our institutional strategy"