Health insurance for international students

All students must have health insurance coverage in Germany.

  • If you come from an EU country, your home country health insurance coverage may be valid in Germany. This must be documented by the European Health Insurance Card, which you need to bring with you to Fulda.
  • If you come from a country outside the European Union, you must purchase compulsory health insurance in Germany to cover the duration of your studies at Fulda University. The monthly fee is approx €120.
  • If you are 30 years old or older, you do not qualify for compulsory health insurance and need to take out private health insurance. Basic and extremely inexpensive private insurance plans are not suitable and will be rejected by the foreigner authority.
  • In order to be enrolled, you need to prove your insurance. If you're taking out compulsory health insurance, provide your insurer with your admission letter to let them know that you're going to be a university student and ask them to send the electronic notification "M10" to student administration.
  • If you're an EU student staying under home country insurance coverage or over 30 and taking out private insurance, you need to contact a compulsory health insurer nonetheless, provide them with your proof of health insurance and ask them to send "M10".

    International Office staff will be happy to give you more information.