Acceptance as a doctoral candidate requires a relevant completed degree (generally a Master’s degree or a German ‘Diplom’) following study worth a total of 300 ECTS credits and with an awarded overall mark of at least 2.0 or an ECTS grade B or a class of degree classified as equivalent. Acceptance may be subject to further conditions.
Prior to the formal application procedure, contact and consultation with a potential initial supervisor who is a professor attached to the Doctoral Research Centre are required.
For this purpose, an appropriate written proposal for the doctoral project must be put together and an initial timetable submitted.
If the project is approved by an initial supervisor, the formal application will follow in accordance with § 5 of the Doctoral Degree Regulations
Article 5 Acceptance as a Doctoral Candidate
(1) The application for acceptance as a doctoral candidate must be submitted to the chairman of the doctoral committee. The request for acceptance must be accompanied by:
- certified copies of final transcripts of records and certificates for successfully completed university studies in accordance with paragraph (3); foreign certificates must be submitted as officially certified translations into German,
- a summary of personal background and education,
- copy of ID document or passport,
- if requested by the doctoral committee, a current certificate of good conduct relating to suitability for acceptance onto a doctoral programme, if applicable,
- a detailed written proposal for the doctoral project to be undertaken independently; the proposal should consist of the proposed subject of study and research, the current status of research in the subject, the objectives of the proposed work and its contribution to the literature of the field together with a description of the approach and the methods envisaged, resource planning agreed by the supervisors, as well as confirmation of the language in which the dissertation is to be written,
- the written approval by the supervisor in the form of the supervision agreement, which also guarantees compliance with good academic practice in accordance with the relevant statutes of Fulda University of Applied Sciences,
- statement as to whether acceptance as a doctoral candidate was applied for at another university and the outcome thereof, or whether a comparable aptitude assessment procedure or doctoral procedure at another university was failed with no further recourse for appeal,
- in the case of international applicants, proof of language proficiency in German, in particular the proficiency test for German university admission (DSH) at least at level 3, or alternatively for the English language a TOEFL language certificate with at least 80 IBT points.
For more information on the doctoral procedure and completion of a doctoral degree, please refer to the Doctoral Degree Regulations: Link