Foundation course in mathematics
For all first semester students of the Bachelor's study programmes in Applied Computer Science, Business IT, Digital Media and E-Health
Get off to a good start!
- You would like to study computer science and want to find out if your knowledge of mathematics meets the University’s requirements.
- You would like to plug one or more other gaps in your knowledge before you embark on the study programme.
- You want to get off to a good start and not wait until you are in a lecture or even in an examination before you realise that the gaps in your maths skills are a problem.
If that applies to you, you should definitely take up the opportunities provided by the Department of Applied Computer Science.
What is the foundation course in maths about?
The seminar units start immediately before the winter semester. This is where you can plug any knowledge gaps before the study programme begins and make the transition from school or employment to university easier to manage. Learning together with your future fellow students and getting to know them are clearly positive side effects of the course.
Who is eligible to take part?
All new students in the Bachelor’s study programme in the Department of Applied Computer Science.
Why should you enrol?
As our students usually have very different sets of prior knowledge, we firmly recommend all new students to take part in order to plug any possible knowledge gaps before they start the study programme and to make the transition from school or an apprenticeship to university easier to manage. Learning together with your future fellow students and getting to know them are clearly positive side effects of the course.
How is the course organised and where can I enrol?
The course will last for 4 weeks from Monday to Friday in the following period:
07th September - 05th October 2022
The course will be split in two groups and held in person. Please take a binding reservation in one of the groups .
|Group 1||1.00 - 4.15 pm||46.107|
|Group 2||4.30 - 7.45 pm||46.107|
Register for the foundation course in moodle using your fd-number to reservate a place. You need your fd-number to log in to moodle, which you will receive upon matriculation, and your password.
Registration until 05th September 2022.
What does the course cover?
The course goes back over the most important basic mathematical concepts that were taught at school and takes them a stage further:
- Equations / inequalities with 1 unknown (calculation and graphics)
- Equations / inequalities with 2 unknowns (addition, inclusion and equation procedures; graphic solution)
- Quadratic equations (quadratic extensions, p-q formulae, Vieta’s formulae)
- Simple fractions
- Advanced fractions (simple equations / compound fractions)
- Exponential functions / square roots
- Vector calculation
- Surfaces and bodies
- Trigonometry on the unit circle and in the general triangle
Photos: ©Halfpoint - Fotolia.com
This online lecture is a perfect preparation!
Audio in german!