Foundation course in mathematics
For all first semester students of the Bachelor's study programmes in Applied Computer Science, Business IT, Digital Media and E-Health
Get off to a good start!
- You would like to study computer science and want to find out if your knowledge of mathematics meets the University’s requirements.
- You would like to plug one or more other gaps in your knowledge before you embark on the study programme.
- You want to get off to a good start and not wait until you are in a lecture or even in an examination before you realise that the gaps in your maths skills are a problem.
If that applies to you, you should definitely take up the opportunities provided by the Department of Applied Computer Science.
What is the foundation course in maths about?
The seminar units start immediately before the winter semester. This is where you can plug any knowledge gaps before the study programme begins and make the transition from school or employment to university easier to manage. Learning together with your future fellow students and getting to know them are clearly positive side effects of the course.
Who is eligible to take part?
All new students in the Bachelor’s study programme in the Department of Applied Computer Science.
Why should you enrol?
As our students usually have very different sets of prior knowledge, we firmly recommend all new students to take part in order to plug any possible knowledge gaps before they start the study programme and to make the transition from school or an apprenticeship to university easier to manage. Learning together with your future fellow students and getting to know them are clearly positive side effects of the course.
How is the course organised and where can I enrol?
For the upcoming semester the course will be presented as an online course -this means there is no need to be at the university physically to attend at the course. The course will last for 4 weeks from Monday to Friday in the following period.
09 September and 07 October 2020
|Group 1||13:00-14:30 h|
|Group 2||14:45-16:15 h|
|Group 3||16:45 - 18:15 h|
|Group 4||18:30 - 20:00 h|
What does the course cover?
The course goes back over the most important basic mathematical concepts that were taught at school and takes them a stage further:
- Equations / inequalities with 1 unknown (calculation and graphics)
- Equations / inequalities with 2 unknowns (addition, inclusion and equation procedures; graphic solution)
- Quadratic equations (quadratic extensions, p-q formulae, Vieta’s formulae)
- Simple fractions
- Advanced fractions (simple equations / compound fractions)
- Exponential functions / square roots
- Vector calculation
- Surfaces and bodies
- Trigonometry on the unit circle and in the general triangle
Photos: ©Halfpoint - Fotolia.com
Do you have questions?
Do you have questions?
This online lecture is a perfect preparation!
Audio in german
Audio in german!