In addition to your existing nursing expertise, the study programme in nursing management will provide you with leadership skills, preparing you for executive and management positions in nursing and other health care institutions.
What Is It All About?
Have you ever considered assuming executive responsibilities in the management of nursing and other care institutions?
The Bachelor's degree programme in nursing management will provide you with the skills you need to fulfil core tasks of controlling, developing, or organising structures of care. In nursing, you may become a successful leader if you are able to systematically assess and evaluate the needs and resources both of those in need of nursing care and those providing that care, as well as the goals of the institution. Your existing nursing experience is essential for these tasks.
This Programme Is for You If...
- You have earned your university entrance qualification
- You have completed your vocational training in a nursing profession
- You want to further your education, want to assume a leadership or management position, and want to use your experience to improve the practice of nursing
You will acquire the skills that will allow you to independently fulfil strategic and operative leadership and management tasks in nursing, but also to work in academic or research settings. Specifically, your professional options will include:
- Leadership positions in in-patient and out-patient institutions of care
- Providing consulting services to those in need of care, to their families, to nursing institutions, health system enterprises, or care centres
- Serving as an expert within the health insurance providers’ medical needs assessment service (MDK, Medizinischer Dienst der Krankenkassen)
- Research positions in nursing science
- Quality management/controlling positions in institutions of nursing and other care
- Positions at providers of health and nursing care insurance, e.g., in contract negotiations, disease management, care management, or case management
- Coordinating activities and networking in health care
- Positions at institutions of continuing education and professional development
- Project work or project management, e.g., in corporate development in hospitals, or in working with families of care patients, in health care research and related fields of research or teaching
How Is the Programme Structured?
You will attend university on only three days of the week (Mondays to Wednesdays) and may choose between completing the programme as a full-time student (standard duration: 6 semesters) or as a part-time student (standard duration: 9 semesters).
The study programme covers 4 areas:
1: Nursing science
2: Academic research
3: Management skills
4: Basics of social science
You will earn a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree.
All throughout your studies, you will be closely advised so that you will be able to combine and further develop your theoretical and methodological knowledge not only in study projects, but also in nursing science research projects funded by third parties (such as the Federal Ministry of Education and Research). You will acquire a sound understanding of health promotion as well as of quality management and care management, complementing your existing skills to prepare you for complex leadership and other special tasks in in-patient and out-patient care.