Offerings for Instructors
Presentations, term papers or lab reports are common academic genres that help students practice academic writing. However, many students experience the transition from writing in school to academic writing as a major challenge. Instructors who are looking for ideas on how to better support students during this transition by designing various kinds of creative, short or sequenced writing assignments are welcome to discuss ideas with us.
The Writing Lab is also happy to share suggestions about ways of using writing to further students' disciplinary thinking in your courses - no matter whether you teach in the social sciences, the natural sciences, the humanities, in law or in engineering.
We'd love to talk to you about, for instance ...
- developing activating "Writing to Learn" assignments that help students learn content as well as disciplinary ways of thinking;
- feedback methods and ways of teaching peer review for in-class peer-to-peer feedback;
- sequencing of complex writing assignments such as term papers;
- designing writing-intensive courses or writing-intensive writing courses;
- labor-saving ways of using writing assignments in your courses.