International Course in Social Work
The Department of Social Work invites exchange students from abroad to attend the following course which is designed for international students from our partner universities and regular Fulda students enrolled in Bachelor’s programmes in Social Work or comparable Bachelor’s programmes.
The course is especially tailored to students who do not (yet) speak German. The language of instruction is English.
About the course
- Course for international and Fulda students on different aspects of social work and intercultural communication
- The course and project work will be conducted in English. The field work is supported by an English-speaking tutor and a social worker, but the students need to be aware that German is the usual language of communication with the clients of social work at most of the institutions.
- Students should have completed the first year of a BA in Social Work or of a comparable study programme.
- ECTS credit points will be awarded for all modules and student performance will be graded.
- The course is free of charge for exchange students of the partner universities.
- Enrolment fee: approx. €300, including the semester ticket for public transport within the federal state of Hesse.
- Cost of living: €750-850 per month, including rent, health insurance (€110 per month) depending on living standards.
- Cost of study visit to Berlin must be partly covered by the student (approx. €170).
The programme comprises 3 A-B-C modules with a total workload of 30 ECTS:
Social Work in an International Context and Fundamentals of Intercultural Competence
- The policy, politics and structure of Europe
- Subject-specific aspects of social inequality and social work
- Fundamental intercultural competences
- Creative Project
- Field Work in an Intercultural Context
- Social Work Institutions: visits to observe “good practice”
Field Experience in an Intercultural Context: students will participate in field work, activities and projects in institutions of social work which offer services in the areas of community work, youth work street work mostly in an intercultural. International students are assisted by English-speaking tutors and social workers.
Visits to Social Work Institutions: for students to become familiar with good practice.
Project Activity: facilitating and supporting sustainable development in social work; small scale research projects in cooperation with social work institutions. Projects will cover issues such as ethnic minorities, social inequality, unemployment, gender, etc., i.e. the most relevant areas of social work.
German as a Foreign Language
Supplementary module for students who would like to learn basic German
Total ECTS: 30
- Good English language skills.
- Students should have completed their first year (or first block of studies) in a Bachelor’s programme in Social Work or a comparable programme and be enrolled in one of our partner universities.
Step 1: Complete and sign the application form. Attach the following documents:
- A copy of your passport
- University transcript of records in English or German
- Language certificates demonstrating your knowledge of English (if available)
- Learning Agreement and motivation letter (for Erasmus+)
Step 2: Submit your application.
The application form and other documents should be sent by email (digital files) to: exchange(at)hs-fulda.de
Application deadline:1. June
Nomination deadline: 15. May